Monday, March 10, 2008

Cheesecake!!!


I LOVE Cheesecake. Cannot get enough of it (okay, that's not true, I eat about 1/2 a slice at a sitting because it's usually so rich. So I can get enough at one time but I can eat it daily until it's gone:). I needed to make something for the infamous Parma Scout Auction so I decided that cheesecake would be ideal because it should be a very sought after item. And boy was I right. It got the highest bid of all the baked goods (Mia's ladybugs were next in line because they were the cutest little cakes in the county). The only sad thing is that I forgot to take a pic of the cheesecake I made for the auction. And since I gave it away and I was really in the mood for some good cheesecake, I made an even better one for me and the family. And I did take a pic of that one. So here is the recipe for Turtle Pecan Cheesecake. I hope you can make it and enjoy it as much as we did and will continue to for the next few days. (The one I made for the auction was a knock-off of Applebee's Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake.)

TURTLE PECAN CHEESECAKE
Printed from COOKS.COM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


CRUST:

4 c. graham cracker crumbs
12 tbsp. melted butter

(I used an Oreo crumb crust instead of graham crackers because what's better than an Oreo crust?)

Combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter; press mixture onto bottom and sides of buttered 10 inch springform pan (2 inches deep). Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.

FILLING:

1 (14 oz.) bag light (vanilla) caramels
1 (5 oz.) can evaporated milk
1 c. chopped pecans, toasted
4 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
1 c. granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. semi sweet chocolate morsels, melted

In heavy 1 1/2 quart saucepan, melt caramels with evaporated milk over low heat, stirring frequently until smooth. (If desired, dip a few pecan halves into caramel mixture and set aside to use later as garnish.) Pour caramel mixture over cooled crust; top with chopped toasted pecans.
Combine cream cheese and sugar, mixing on medium speed with electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla. Blend in melted chocolate. Pour mixture over pecans and caramel in crust, starting at outer edge.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 1 hour and 20 to 25 minutes, or until edges begin to crack. Remove from oven and let cool at room temperature for 30 to 40 minutes. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove sides of pan and loosen cheesecake with spatula.


CHOCOLATE TOPPING:

1/2 c. semisweet chocolate morsels
3 tbsp. evaporated milk (see note)
Whipped cream (optional for garnish)
Pecan halves dipped in caramel (optional for garnish)

Melt chocolate morsels (in top of double boiler or on medium power in microwave oven). Add evaporated milk (or 2 percent milk and butter). Stir until mixture is smooth.
Spread chocolate topping over chilled cheesecake. Garnish with dollops of whipped cream and pecan halves dipped in caramel, if desired. Keep refrigerated.

Makes 1 (6 pound) cheesecake: 16 to 20 servings. Cut it small or you'll be throwing away everyone's leftovers.

Side note: I always put a pan of water in the oven when I bake a cheesecake to prevent cracks. It works most of the time.

Adapted from www.cooks.com

2 comments:

Mama Runner Parker said...

That cheesecake looks sooo yummy--I might have to give it try for Easter..Mmm, just thinking of it makes my mouth water.
Tonight we're having chilli relleno casserole--thanks for the good ideas--I really like this site.

M said...

Yea!!! I'm so glad you're using it! The cheesecake was so yummy, I actually had a piece for lunch today and I think we still have some left if Jeff hasn't eaten it all:)